|Chincoteague Ponies and Cattle Egret|
Assateague Island is a 37-mile (60 km) long barrier island located off the eastern coast of Maryland and Virginia best known for its herds of feral horses, pristine beaches, and the Assateague Lighthouse. The island also contains numerous marshes, bays and coves, including Toms Cove. Bridge access for cars is possible from both Maryland and Virginia, though no road runs the full length of the island. The National Park Service allows off-road vehicles with permits in certain areas.
Between 1933 and the early 1960s, federal interest in creating a national seashore on the island alternated with periodic pushes for development. In 1950, a 15 mile section of the Maryland side of Assateague was platted for development, and a paved road, Baltimore Boulevard, was constructed to traverse the new development. A storm in 1962 destroyed or covered most of Baltimore Boulevard, and many of the structures on the island were destroyed. Although some private landowners on the island supported re-development, by this time the state of Maryland generally supported a national seashore and legislation was introduced in the United States Congress. After Congressional efforts did not produce final legislation in 1964, new legislation in 1965 was successful and Assateague Island National Seashore was formed. Source: Wikipedia
|The Coast Guard Station: Restored but not Active.|
|The Beach During Low Tide|
|Tidal Crossovers Abound Near High Tide|
|A Great Egret (Photographed via Kayak)|
|Cormorant (Photographed via Kayak- Special Thanks to Carolinn Pocher Woody for Identification)|